0344 984 2515
If you are a current client please call: 0344 984 4445


October 12. 2018

What about my tax?

By far, the most common question we get asked by new self-employed individuals is how much should I put aside for my tax bill. Unfortunately, this isn’t the easiest question to answer as every taxpayer is different and any answer must be very general. To try to give an answer is full of perils as we don’t want a client to put too much or worse, too little a side and get a very nasty shock in January. Years of experience tells us that between 15% - 20% of turnover should cover the Tax, National Insurance and a possible payment on account. However, it’s unusual for a first-year business to make an outright profit, initial set up costs can be high.

So, what is the best advice. The best advice anyone can give you is to get your accounts in early. The quicker we can prepare your accounts the sooner you find out what is due by the following 31st January but putting aside 15% - 20% isn’t the worst idea either.

 What happens if I can’t pay?

The best thing to do is let HM Revenue and Customs know as soon as you realise you’re going to struggle to pay your tax. HMRC understand that sometimes businesses have up and down periods and will normally try to create a payment plan that’s works for both sides. You can contact HMRC’s payment support team on 0300 200 3835. 

If you have any concerns about your tax bill or paying HMRC please do contact us on 0344 984 4445.



The FBTC approach

  • Uncomplicated and straightforward process
  • Comprehensive service
  • Providing outstanding service to our customers for over 20 years
  • Serving over 2,000 clients throughout the U.K.
  • Low cost monthly fee allows you to spread the cost over the year